Salted caramel, nut free and oh so delicious!! The perfect lunchbox friendly snack with a mix of fat and carbohydrates to keep your kiddies energy and brain cognition up for a day at school!
1 cup dates soaked for at least 8 hours
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Pinch Himalayan sea salt
½ cup oatmeal (can be made by blitzing oats in a blender)
½ cup flaxseed meal
¼ cup chia seeds
½ cup desiccated coconut for rolling
1. Pit the dates and then soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours in the fridge. Make sure they are completely covered with water and in a big jar as they really do plump up when they are soaked.
2. Once soaked, drain them well to remove most of the water then add them to your blender with the vanilla and salt and blitz on high until it forms a smooth paste.
3. Add the date mix to a bowl with the oatmeal and flaxseed meal and mix together.
4. Slowly add the chia seeds if needed to soak up some moisture. You might not need them all but have them in case!
5. It should hold together when rolled in a ball but if not keep adding more oatmeal, flaxseed meal or chia seeds.
6. Once they can roll in a ball, roll them in desiccated coconut and store in the fridge or freezer.
Additions: You can add 2 tablespoons of cacao to the date mix to make them chocolate flavoured or add some essential oils like peppermint or orange.